Johnstown Businesses in 1907
St. Patrick's Church and Parsonage, Johnstown
Postcard courtesy of Martha Magill,
Return to: The Twin Cities in 1907
The Johnstown section was transcribed by volunteer Peggy Menear, who returns again and again to help the Fulton County GenWeb site. Thank you Peggy! Peggy is researching her Chatterton line from the Mohawk Valley. If you have any connection to or information about the Chatterton's, she would love to hear from you.
JOHNSTOWN OF TO-DAY
A Descriptive and Illustrated History of the City, Past and Present
Of all the cities and towns that dot the valleys and crown the hillsides of New York state, none is prettier or more delightful for situation than Johnstown, the shire seat of Fulton county, and few are more prosperous. Lying about four miles north of the historic Mohawk river, the fir-clad peaks of the Adirondacks rising in successive ranges to the northward, and the gentle river winding quietly through the fertile valley at the south, give it a situation both attractive and desirable. Of easy access to the outer world by means of steam and electric railways, it is also closely connected with the many beautiful lakes hidden in the mountain system on one of whose foothills it sits, that business men and pleasure seekers alike find it a convenient place of residence. Famous for the learned and public men it has produced, celebrated for the excellence of its manufactured products, and remarkable for it's healthfulness. It is widely known throughout the whole country.
Johnstown was founded by Sir William Johnson, baronet, an Irishman, who, as the story goes, was jilted in his youth, and came to this country to let his heart heal. His uncle, who held large grants of land from the British crown, sent him into the Mohawk valley to look after his interests there. His bligated affections did not prevent him from exercising his business talents, and he soon became not only a landed proprietor in his own right, but one of the most powerful and influential men in the colony. He lived for a few years at Fort Johnson on the banks of the Mohawk, but in 1763 built Johnson Hall and took up his residence here. At that time he owned 50,000 acres of land, and these holdings were later largely increased by royal allotments in recognition of his services as the superintendent of the Six Nations. He had already induced numbers of immigrants to settle on his property, so that when he removed to Johnston Hall the village, which before had been known by it's Indian name, "Kolaneka", or "the place where one stops to fill up his bowl with food and drink," was re-christened Johnstown, after it's knightly founder.
Among his Scottish immigrants were some who had belonged to the Glove Makers' Guild of Perth, Scotland. They brought the few crude implements of their trade with them, and as soon as they had settled on their farms in the township which they names after their Highland home, began to make gloves from the native skins, selling them to the Johnstown merchants. The latter took them in barter for their goods and in turn carried the gloves on horseback to Albany, where they sold them, being the first commercial travelers to offer the product of what is now a business in which millions of capital are invested and which practically supports 40,000 people. It was a very natural thing for it to gravitate to the principal village of the county, and about the year 1800, it had assumed proportions that established it as an industry. Since that time it has steadily grown, until a large part of the gloves made in this country are produced in the Johnstown factories. Not only that, but the facilities for the business are so complete that practically all the skins used are dressed here, being received in the raw, and made into leather by the different processes in vogue in the various mills and tanneries. There are now $3,695,819 invested in the glove and leather trades in Johnstown, and the fifty mills and factories give employment to 4,014 operatives, whose wages amount to $1,368,283 each year.
But the manufacture of gloves and mittens is not the only use in which leather is put. There is a factory that produces sporting goods; choice pieces of skins that are too small to make into gloves are converted into all sorts of novelties, such as pocketbooks, tobacco punches, pocket-knife cases, etc., while the clippings and scraps are made into baseballs, a million and a half having been last year's output; and even the refuse of the raw hides is utilized by a very large glue company.
Most of the inhabitants of Johnstown and the surrounding country are engaged in the various departments of the glove and leather factories, but there are also three large knitting mills that employ 275 men and women, with a pay roll of $2,500 per week, and last year marketed 250,000 dozens of underwear; a skirt factory, and a large shoddy mill that will run night and day will soon be in operation. The city also contains the main office, packing department and shipping rooms of the largest gelatine plant in the world, while its financial interests are taken care of by two banks whose combined capital is $300,000; surplus $250,000, and which have $3,000,000 on deposit.
While the foregoing are the principal industries of Johnstown, its abundant resources could be profitably utilized by others. It has water power that far exceeds the demands now made upon it; an electric light and power plant of unlimited capacity, and mill and factory sites of inestimable value. It is connected with New York Central at Fonda, only four miles away, by both steam and electric divisions of the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville railroad, while the limited cars of the interurban line of the same system take passengers to Amsterdam in thirty minutes, to Schenectady in an hour, and to Albany in two hours. These transportation facilities put the city so closely in touch with the greater commercial centers that it would be hard to find a municipality that equaled it in such advantages, and realizing these things, there are at present two very large concerns that are contemplating the establishment of plants here. As a residence place Johnstown is ideal.
The vital statistics for January showed that its death rate for that month was the smallest of any city in the state. This was no doubt in large part due to its healthful location and surroundings, which have been supplemented by the most modern sanitary arrangements. It would seem as if nature had been more than generous to this old town that is so rapidly becoming a thriving city. Its altitude is 800 feet above the sea level, enough to ensure sufficient moisture in the atmosphere, with but little humidity and scarcely any fog. Its location at the foot of the Adirondacks gives it the pure air for which that region is famed, while its water supply, which is absolutely untainted, comes from the first range of hills to the north in such unlimited quantities that even the most lengthy drought fails to affect it. It is brought to the city by the gravity system, and its pressure, 130 pounds to the square inch, is sufficient to throw it over the highest building on the most elevated point within the corporate limits, so that in addition to its domestic uses it provides the most ample and inexpensive method of lighting fires, and in the connection it may also be said that the city is unusually free from destructive conflagrations.
Johnstown is essentially a city of homes. It is not the wealthiest class only who are taxpayers, but a large majority of the operatives in the factories and mills own their houses and consequently take a greater pride in the city's appearance. The streets are shaded by rows of stately elms and thick-leaved maples the grass in the door yards is kept at lawn length, while flower beds add to their beauty. There are residence streets that contain palatial structures, and others that strangers are struck with the air of prosperity that characterizes the place. The streets are paved with brick, asphalt and macadam, and are kept scrupulously clean, and contracts have already been let for extensions of such work during the coming summer.
No city can be counted a true home city unless its educational advantages are of the best, and in this Johnstown excels.
Sir William Johnson established here the first real free school in the United States and declared himself the patron of education, and since his day that spirit has continued to actuate the people. The old Johnstown academy was famous as an institution of learning, and many such men and women as Bishop Littlejohn of New York, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton were enrolled among its students. At present there are four modern brick buildings, all except one erected within fifteen years. The total registry of scholars is 1,837, and they are under the care of forty-eight professors and teachers besides the superintendent. The High school is one of the best in the state, and its graduates are found in the leading colleges, both male and female, and technical schools. The only training class for teachers in this vicinity is maintained in connection with it, and it also has its own reference library.
As an auxiliary to its other educational facilities, the city maintains a very fine free public library, for which an annual appropriation of $2,500 is made in addition to its income from other sources. There are, beside, a large number of study clubs which serve to keep alive a keep interest in literature, history and the sciences, and a morning and an evening daily paper are published.
The religious element largely dominates the community. There are thirteen churches- the Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, United Presbyterian, Protestant Episcopal, Roman Catholic, two Lutheran, Dutch Reformed, True Dutch Reformed, Free Methodist, Christian Science and A. M. E. Zion. There is also a Woman's Christian Temperance Union, a prosperous Young Women's Christian Association, and a very active Young Men's Christian Association. The latter is housed in its own building, which was erected in 1902, at a cost of $40,000, and is entirely free from debt. It has a general secretary and physical directory, a finely equipped gymnasium, and is doing excellent work. Its senior department consists of two hundred and fourteen members, while its boys' department has ninety-one. The morality of the city is shown by the fact that during 1906 there were only sixty-two arrests, and for a community of 10,000 people that is indeed very small.
The city's architecture delights both antiquarians and those who are more favorable to modern structures. Johnson Hall, the residence of the great baronet, is still standing, the only baronial mansion in the United States. It has never been allowed to deteriorate, and with its adjoining grounds was recently purchased by the state and the Johnstown Historical society will now be custodian. It will contain that body's museum and archives, among which are many interesting relics of colonial days. The court house and jail, also built by Sir William Johnson, are still used for the purposes for which they were erected, and the board of supervisors will put up a modern building for the use of the county officers at a cost of $45,000, before the year ends. Congress has appropriated $15,000 for a postoffice site, and it is expected that during the coming session another appropriation will be secured for the building itself. A few years since Main street was swept by a destructive fire, which proved to be a great advantage to the city, for the old wooden buildings that were consumed have been replaced with brick blocks, from three to six stories in height, and the principal business section is now up-to-date in every way.
The social advantages of the place are what would be expected in such a city. The fraternities all have strong footholds, the life insurance and investment orders flourish, and there are clubs that occupy their own houses, which are fitted with every comfort and convenience.
In the line of amusements it is well taken care of. The opera house presents a repertoire of plays second to none outside the metropolis, and has from ten to twenty of the best New York productions every winter. A five cent car fare takes one to the A., J. & G. baseball grounds, where there are from one to five New York State league games each week during the season. A half hour's ride by train carries excursionists twenty miles to a park on the banks of the Sacandaga, where they can boat, bathe, or enjoy the mountain scenery, and where in the evening the best vaudeville performances are given in a pretty rustic theatre.
Such is Johnstown, past and present. Its future looks very bright. Its leading industry, the glove business, was never so crowded with orders, and as its interests are being looked after by a very capable and active Board Of Trade, the prospects are that it will continue to make rapid strides. It is always glad to welcome strangers and entertain them at its fine hotels, and the cordiality which it extends to all visitors is one of the chief characteristics of the progressive city whose birth antedates the Revolution. - Bethune Maher Grant, National Magazine.
A.M. PUTMAN - Dealer in fresh and salted meats of all kinds. No. 5 East Main Street. Telephone call No. 50. For eighteen years the enterprising proprietor of this business has held a leading position among the meat dealers of this city, with seven years in his present store. He is a man of exceptional ability in the meat business, and understands all its details thoroughly. The trade is retail and the stock carried consists of fresh and salt meats of all kinds, together with poultry and game in season. The store is well located and its interior is a model of neatness and cleanliness, a characteristic which at once recommends the place to every housekeeper. Great care is exercised in the variety of stock kept on hand. There are two competent assistants and one delivery wagon is used. Orders by phone receive prompt and careful attention.
UHLINGER & SON - Furniture dealers and undertakers, No. 29 West Main Street. This firm, composed of Mr. Philip Uhlinger and his son, J. W. Uhlinger, is the oldest of its kind in the city, having been established in the year 1861, by the father. The son came into the business in 1871. A fine stock of furniture is carried and an active patronage is maintained in this line. These gentlemen are also funeral directors and are fully equipped for this work, having Mr. A. B. Wassung in charge of the undertaking department. They show skill and ability in this line and have gained a high reputation among the citizens of Johnstown. They have two elegant hearses. The office and ware-rooms are located at Nos. 29-31 West Main Street and the factory at No. 83 East Main Street. They give employment to five competent people.
O. J. HOTALING - Plumbing and tinning, steam, water, and hot air heating. No 27 East Main Street. Telephone call No. 546. This business was originally opened here about seven years ago on North Perry Street. After some time the business was sold out and Mr. Hotaling went to Philadelphia. At his return, July, 1906, he established this house at the above address and began business. Though comparatively a new concern, Mr. Hotaling is so well known to business and mercantile circles that his venture was a complete success from the start. He carries a fine stock of goods at his shop and does all kinds of heater installing, plumbing, etc. he employs competent assistants and all are kept constantly busy, with orders booked in advance continually.
TRAVIS & OCZKO - Machinists and millwrights; dealers in all kinds of mill supplies, No. 215 North Perry Street. Glen telephone No. 199. This is the largest and best equipped concern of its kind in this section of the state, having every facility for turning out the best class of work in their lines, and since the establishment of the business ten years ago a very fine patronage has been built up. The proprietors are B. Travis and M. K. Oczko, both of whom are expert machinists and fine men to deal with. They also employ ten competent and skillful workmen, so that they are able to give perfect satisfaction in every undertaking. They deal in mill supplies, couplings, shafting, hangers, pulleys, pipe and pipe fittings, friction clutches, steam pumps, etc. they also do all kinds of machine work and repairing, and make a specialty of automobile repairing in all its branches. A call will convince you of their ability.
SANFORD EATON - Portrait photographer, No. 79 North Main Street, Gloversville. Telephone connections. A most important illustration of the cosmopolitan character of Gloversville is the business conducted by Mr. Eaton. This studio \has been in existence for the past five years and is by far the finest one in the city, and for that matter in this section of the state. It consists of several excellently furnished rooms, fitted up with elegance and style. Moreover, there is an operating room 30X45 and two large drying rooms and a work room in the rear of all. Mr. Eaton is acknowledged to be an expert and artistic photographer, understanding every minor detail of the art, and doing all his own work. This work is of the highest grade and first-class in every way, shape and manner. Nothing but the best work at the fairest prices is to be found in this studio. Consequently the patronage which comes to Mr. Eaton is reckoned to be the largest of that enjoyed by any photographer in the county.
HERTZ BROTHERS - Wholesale and retail dealers in wines and liquors, No. 22 South Main Street, Gloversville. Telephone call No. 2011. This business house was inaugurated under the title of A. Hertz & Co. about seven years ago and has been under the present firm name for three years. The Messrs. Hertz are the sole agents in this city for the following popular brands of whiskeys: Hunter, Wilson, Trimble, Schanleys, Mt. Vernon, Gill Edge, Antediluvian, Eccentric Club, Elks Club, Bohemian Club and Metropolitan Club, which they dispose of at wholesale and retail. A specialty is made of family trade. Hertz Brothers were formerly at No. 15 South Main Street, but their place of business today is a large one, well suited to the trade, and is always kept neat and clean. Cigars and tobaccos of the most popular brands are kept, and a very fine patronage is maintained.
G. ROWE, M.D. - Druggist. The location of his pharmacy is at the corner of Cayadutta and Fulton Street, Gloversville, with telephone connections. The doctor is a graduate of the Albany Medical College and has been engaged in the drug business in this city since 1889. His store is large and commodious, and with its well arranged fixtures stands well to the front as an exponent of the success of modern pharmacy. Everything pertaining to an up-to-date drug store may be found here at the best prices. The supply of goods consists of drugs, medicines, toilet articles, perfumes, cigars, soda water, confectionery, etc. The prescription department is the most noticeable feature of Dr. Rowe's store. He engages a graduate prescription clerk and none but the purest chemicals and most standardized drugs are utilized in the compounding of prescriptions. A visit to this pharmacy will convince the most skeptical of the cleanliness and wholesomeness of a real up-to-date drug store of the first order.
STEVEN FTAKIS - Wholesale and retail dealer in confectionery and ice cream, No. 8 West Main Street. This gentleman is well known among the confectioners of the city as a first-class business man in every respect. He has been the proprietor of this old establishment for the past five years and has succeeded in attracting and holding a fine class of patronage. This is due to the fact that his goods are prepared from the best materials and that his place of business is always kept neat and clean and is an inviting place to enter. He makes much of his candy and cream and there are five cosy tables in the store where hot drinks, soda water and candies are served to ladies and gentlemen. He also supplies many of the dealers in the city with their ice cream. He has four assistants.
THE CENTRAL MARKET - A. Spateholts, proprietor, No. 22 North Market Street. Glen telephone call No. 669. There is a certain metropolitan style about the Central market which denotes that its proprietor is a man of experience in all the details which go to make up a first-class market, where the best of everything may be found. A chance caller at this store is always attracted by the absolute neatness, the clean and bright fixtures and the fine display of meats of all kinds. The history of this store is as varied as the stock it carries. It was established eighteen years ago in this city and since that time it has moved out of the city and then came back here once more, three years ago. It has occupied the present business site for nearly a year and a half. A specialty is made of home made sausage and home cured hams.
JOHN CASSIDY - Proprietor of the finest café in the city, and located at No. 14 East Main Street. The best drinks served in the most appetizing manner by three genial and skillful bartenders comprises only one of the many popular attractions of this famous resort. The up-to-date and handsome fixtures of the barroom add much to its attractiveness. The wet goods offered over this elegant bar, cocktails, whiskeys, brandys, cordials, ales, beers and wines, are of the best quality obtainable and appeal unfailingly to a discriminating public. Mr. Cassidy has the cream of his trade in the city, and it may truthfully be said that he deserves it, because of the fine service he offers. He is agent for the "Owl Musty Ale" and also Evans' Hudson cream ale. This saloon has been in the present location for the past eight years.
JOSEPH H. DAILEY - Cigar manufacturer, at the corner of Main and Fulton Streets, Gloversville. This is one of the oldest and most reliable cigar concerns in Gloversville and has been established here for the past twenty-five years. The cigars made by Mr. Dailey and his assistants are among the most popular in this section of the state. They are made to win the custom of gentlemen smokers who are particular as to the flavor, bouquet and aroma of the cigars which they smoke or present to their friends. Mr. Dailey's quarters at the above address are finely fitted up and appointed. The stock carried is large and varied, comprising the best lines of cigars (besides his own make), tobaccos, pipes and smokers' articles. The prices are always right and the smokers are always happy. Among the leaders may be mentioned the J. D. Leader Perfecto, the Little J.D. and the Ocean Queen.
THE MUTUAL LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY OF NEW YORK - Percy S. Wilkins, district manager, room No. 2 Arietta Building, Gloversville, N.Y. This company is the oldest of its kind in America, and is recognized as the largest in the world. Its total assets amounting to $470,861,165. The Gloversville branch has been for two years under management of Mr. Percy S. Wilkins. His jurisdiction extends over the county and he has four men working under his direction. He is an energetic young man, zealously devoted to his business, and is prompt and accurate in all his dealings. The last annual report of the company in question for the year 1906 shows substantial gains in all items of stability and prosperity, giving conclusive proof that it is ably and discreetly managed. This company is issuing the four New York state standard policies, known as the endowment, limited payment, ordinary life and term policies. Anyone contemplating placing insurance will do well to correspond with him and get his company's figures before placing same.
THE NEW YORK GROCERY - L. C. Peck, manager, No. 36 North Main Street, Gloversville. Both telephones. This store is one of a great many scattered about the state of New York. The New York Grocery has been established in this city about two years. The bulk of the success of this firm here is due to the manager, Mr. Peck. He is a business-like person in every way, a pusher to the last degree, and one who knows how to do things. The business done requires the services of six clerks as well as the retaining of two delivery wagons. Others are called for and delivered without charge. The many stores conducted by J. F. Dun, the proprietor of the New York Grocery, who operates nine in this state, with headquarters at Utica, are among the most popular establishments of their kind, not only for low prices, but quality as well.
I. D. GRAFF - Stoves and ranges, Nos. 87 and 89 West Fulton street, Gloversville. Telephone 2435. Among the chief trade conveniences of the city may be reckoned this enterprise conducted and managed by Mr. Graff. He has been established here for a good number of years, with remarkable success throughout. His line of stoves and ranges is one of the finest that can be found in the community. The supply is sufficiently varied for even the most particular housekeepers to make just the selection to suit their particular purpose. Among the special features of the house may be mentioned the Acorn stoves and ranges and the Graff Range. He also installs furnaces and heaters. Satisfaction guaranteed.
P. Z. DRUMM'S SONS - Glove manufactures, No. 113 Green Street. In the year 1862 this enterprise was established by Mr. P. Z. Drumm, the father of the present proprietors, and since that date its record has been one of uninterrupted success. Mr. Edward H. Drumm, the present proprietor, and his brother, C. H. Drumm, took charge of the factory in 1885 and continued business together until his brother's death, at which time he acquired the business and continued its operation successfully. He manufactures gloves of the finest texture and wearing qualities, confining himself to gloves of medium weight almost entirely. These goods he sells to jobbers only. He employs fifteen skilled workmen and sends some work outside.
FRANK RANDALL - Practical plumber, tinning, steam and hot air fitting, No. 208 West Main Street, Telephone call No. 87. This business house was established here in the year 1883 and has had a long and prosperous career. Mr. Randall, the proprietor, is a man of many years of practical experience at the business, as he worked at it for twenty years before the establishment of this concern. He carries a fine line of all plumbers' goods and supplies, including heaters, ranges and stoves. He makes a specialty of the Acorn and Jewel stoves. He also does all kinds of tinning and steam and hot air heating, employing from six to fifteen men at different times. He is also the sole agent for the Volunteer boilers, which he has installed for years with the greatest satisfaction. Estimates on any job will be cheerfully furnished on application.
T. E. GILMOUR - Dealer in dry goods and notions, No. 36 West Main Street. This establishment was put in operation in this city about fifteen years ago by the firm of Potter & Gilmour, but it has been under the direction of Mr. Gilmour alone for the past eight years. This store today is one of the most popular and best patronized of its kind in the city, occupying two large floors and requiring the services of six employees to wait on its many customers. It contains a very fine stock of goods, consisting mainly of ladies' furnishings, dry goods, cloaks, suites, dresses and carpets. Mr. Gilmour is a native of New York state and his thirty-five years of experience in the business and his progressive business methods have won him an enviable place in the esteem of his fellow citizens. A call at the store will convince you that the goods handled are among the best sold in the city.
D. W. CHAMBERLAIN - Dealer in wall paper and paints, No. 18 North Market Street. Mr. Chamberlain has been the proprietor of this business since its establishment two years ago. Prior to this time he was for many years a contractor in the painting and paper hanging business and is well known to the citizens of Johnstown as an energetic business man. He has a fine store and carries a large stock of goods in a fine assortment. The latest styles in colors, patterns and designs in wall papers may be examined here at all times, and in the paint line he makes a specialty of the famous Chilton mixed paint. He employs from ten to twelve skilled workmen and has one assistant in the store.
W. W. CHAMBERLAIN - Dealer in fire, life, health and accident insurance, real estate and loans, No. 120 West Main Street. Telephone call No. 373. Mr. Chamberlain occupies very handsome office quarters at the address named above, and does a general real estate, insurance and loan business. He has been established here in business for the past nine years and in that time has figured more or less prominently in most of the large real estate deals. He is prominent in business circles and possesses the confidence and esteem of a large number of property owners whose agent he is. He has a reputation for strict reliability in all his dealings and his prestige maintained with investors and capitalists enables him to negotiate large or small loans upon the most favorable terms. Steamship tickets are sold to all parts of the world.
JOHN O'NEILL - Dealer in fresh and salt meats, No. 114 West Main Street. This establishment enjoys the distinction of being the oldest as well as one of the best of its kind in the county. It was founded in this city nearly sixty years ago by the father of the present proprietor, who has been its owner for about twenty-five years. Very careful attention is given to the selection of the stock, which consists of fresh and salt meats of all kinds, as well as game and poultry in their seasons. The store is large and airy and the meats are displayed to the best advantage and are cared for in the most up-to-date and sanitary manner. The thorough cleanliness and the able and genial manner with which the customers are served make this establishment without a peer. There are two clerks and two wagons, one single and one double.
JACOB THEURER - Dealer in fine groceries, No. 416 North Perry Street. Telephone call No. 27. This store has been established here for the last six years and during that time has held an important position in mercantile circles and it has not many rivals in its particular line. The store is nicely located and is well fitted by equipment and arrangement for transacting a large business. An excellent stock of goods is carried, including choice family groceries of all kinds, stationery, chinaware, bread, pie and cake, and also cigars. The prompt and courteous attention which is extended to every caller at the store by the three clerks employed and the prompt delivery of all purchases to any part of the city are characteristics which entitle this establishment to special consideration and an active patronage.
HOTEL TOURAINE - Johnstown, N.Y. "Open all the year." A. J. James, proprietor. This is the leading hotel in Johnstown and it is first-class in every respect. This section of the state is recognized as one of the healthiest to be found and a modern hotel, open all year around, has been a want long felt in this city. The present management has renovated, decorated and partially refurnished it and the hotel was thrown open in the month of November for high class service to the public. There are seventy-five steam heating sleeping rooms, well lighted and ventilated. Single rooms may be rented, or en suite, with private baths. Rates $2.00 per day and upward. American plan only. Fine livery and garage attached to hotel.
THE UNION RESTAURANT - John J. Guidotti, proprietor, No. 24 West Main Street. This modern and up-to-date eating place was established here many years ago and was popularly known as the Smith restaurant. A little over a year ago the present proprietor, Mr. Guidotti, took charge of the business and at that time he remodeled and refurnished the place, and in other ways put it in first-class condition for doing a big business. The fact that it is patronized largely by the drummers is a strong point in its favor. Meals are served at all hours and are carefully prepared from the purest and best foodstuffs. Oysters are served in any style desired, and a specialty is made of catering to parties, receptions and banquets. Regular meals 25 cents; board by the week $3.50. There are seats for fifty. Telephone call No. 681. J. J. Guidotti is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men and is president of the Fort Johnson Aerie of Eagles.
EMMETT J. CAHILL - Pharmacist, No. 43 West Main Street. This is without doubt the finest store in the city in many respects. It was originally established here in the year 1873 and has a host of friends and patrons, who have given it their hearty support and patronage. Mr. E.J. Cahill, the proprietor, is a graduate of the Albany College of Pharmacy and understands the details of the business thoroughly. A very fine line of drugs, medicines, perfumes and toilet articles are carried, and great care is exercised in the preparing of doctors' and family prescriptions. Four expert and competent clerks are employed and the attendance offered to the public is first-class in every respect. In connection with the business a very handsome soda fountain is operated, hot and cold drinks being served.
HENRY STOLLER - Livery and sale stable, No. 23 South Market Street. Telephone No. 256. The reason for the great popularity which Mr. Henry Stoller enjoys with the general public is that he thoroughly understands his business as the proprietor of a first-class livery stable. This business was established here in the year 1865, and has been in the same location, No. 23 South Market Street, since August 15, 1871. The location is ideal for the business and the large patronage enjoyed by this stable is partly due to this fact. Mr. Stoller has a large building and his stables have an enormous capacity. They are well ventilated and kept in sanitary conditions at all times. Besides doing a general livery business he also sells carriages and harness. Competent and obliging drivers are always in attendance and the service in general is all that could be desired.
H. A. MARCELLUS - Photographer, No. 120 West Main Street, Johnstown, N.Y. Mr. Marcellus came to this city in Mary 1907, to succeed J. T. Betts. He at once equipped his studio with the most complete apparatus for the production of modern photography. His rooms include the entire third floor of the building and are furnished with elegance and taste throughout, being designed to appeal to the high class of trade to which he caters. Mr. Marcellus is a young man, but having entered the field of photography very early in life has had years of experience in his chosen profession. His natural ability as an artist lends a charm to his photographic work. All of it is done by himself and is of the finest quality throughout. He is a constant worker and aside from his photographic labors finds time to devote his talents to the production of drawings and paintings, which he executes with equal skill and ability. Mr. Marcellus also does amateur finishing at very reasonable rates.
E. E. SANDERS - Café, No 121 West Main Street. This café was established here thirty years ago by John Dunk. It is a very popular place and has a host of steady customers. The present proprietor is Mr. Sanders, who has had charge of the business since May 1st, 1906. He conducts a well stocked bar, handling a fine line of Imported and domestic wines, liquors, cigars, etc. He makes a specialty of Hanover Rye and Lewis '66 Rye, and other standard brands of beverages. The bar is located in large and roomy quarters, which are well equipped with the best appointments for conducting a business of this nature. The proprietor is rapidly becoming popular, as he is a charitable and warm-hearted business man.
ALBERT HERTZ & CO. - Wholesale and retail dealer in wines and liquors, No 135 West Main Street. Telephone call No. 721. The gentlemen names above are the proprietors of a neat and well kept establishment at the address given and have conducted it for some time. The house is an old one and is well known throughout the vicinity. Messrs. Hertz are wholesale dealers in wines and liquors, and also sell them at retail. They have a good business and conduct it with gratifying success. The retail trade is especially active and the stock consists of only the purest and finest of all brands of liquor and wines.
THE CITY DRUG STORE - Frank J. Palmer, proprietor, corner of Main and Perry Streets. For the past nineteen years this drug store has been prominent before the public. Mr. Palmer has been its proprietor since the second of October, 1906. He is well fitted both by education and experience for the position he holds in the business world. He is a graduate of the pharmacy department of Union University, and has also had about sixteen years of practical experience at this work. He makes a specialty of the accurate compounding of all doctors' and family prescriptions and carries an excellent line of drugs and medicines, which are guaranteed to be pure and fresh. He also carries a fine line of stationery and a beautiful fountain adds grace to the fine fittings of the store.
On to: Johnstown, Part B
Return to Fulton County NYGenWeb
Copyright ©,2000 James Morrison, Johnstown
Copyright ©,2000 Martha Magill, postcard
Copyright ©,2000 Peggy Menear
Copyright ©,2000 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:14:07 PDT