Source, Extracted from: "History of Rock County Wisconsin", published 1879, page 807.
JOHN H. POOLE, farmer, (P. O. Beloit) born in Johnstown, Fulton Co., N.Y. on April 25, 1812. He was the son of Abraham POOLE, who was a farmer and of the old VANDERPOOLE family, one of the first families to settle in New York from Holland. He died June 24, 1853, at the age of 76. Mr. John POOLE commenced the hotel business in January, 1830, in Johnstown; carried it on successfully sixteen years and was well known throughout that part of the State.
Mr. Poole served as Sheriff there at one time; afterward moved to Hebron, McHenry Co., Ill., and bought 320 acres; was there two years, then came to Turtle, his present location, and settled on 300 acres, and now has 275 acres under the best of cultivation and a fine and handsome residence.
John Poole married in February, 1840. His bride, Elizabeth WINNE, is the daughter of Garrett WINNE, a wealthy farmer of New York. The have had six children:
1. Phoebe married Mr. P. NORCROSS, a prominent lawyer of Janesville
2. Abraham; he is in the commission business in Chicago; has been very successful and built himself a fine residence, costing $5,200. Abraham also has a branch house in New York City. During the war, Abraham was in the Commissary Department, stationed at Chattanooga.
3. Garrett is in Burton Co., Kan.; is a speculator in cattle and horses; and he too has been very successful.
4. Henry is in Milwaukee in the grain and commission business.
5. Charles J. was in the commission business in Chicago, is now in Janesville.
6. John is a student in Beloit College.
Mr. John H. POOLE is a self-made man and deserves great credit for the successful way in which he as brought up his family.
Copyright ©2000 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Copyright ©1997-2017: Fulton County NYGenWeb, All rights reserved. Site Design by Lisa Slaski